Math Reflection - Laura D.
As a mathematician, I think I have learned a lot about my understanding. I found out that I am really caught up on a couple of new methods. For example, I think one of the main things I have learned is to check the reasonableness of my answers, especially when it comes to estimating. This is a very helpful skill because if for example, I do a calculation error and divide instead of multiply, if I check the reasonableness of the answer, I will probably find out it will not work. However, I did learn another skill during that process. Usually when my reasonableness is not good, it is usually because I did not read the problem correctly and that was when I learned a new skill, reading the question thoughtfully and making sense of it. I think that most of my problems that I got wrong were either a calculation error or a misunderstanding of the problem. So I think that these two skills have really improved for me. These skills have helped me learn new methods like the GCF and LCM method. Before, I only knew how to find the GCF and LCM in a way more complicated way. But these skills did not help me learn the new method, but of when to use GCF and LCM. By checking the reasonableness of the answer I can check if it would make sense and by making sense of the problem I could check if I used the right one. Another Habit of a Good Thinker that I learned was to check my work. I think that I have had many calculation errors and think that when I check my work I make sense and notice what I did wrong. A skill that I think I have mastered this semester is finding the prime factorization of a number. I think I mastered this because I was already familiar with it in fifth grade and I was very comfortable with it. Another skill that I think I have mastered is multiplying and dividing fractions. I think that this skill has grown a lot and I have a better understanding of what to do. The last skill that I think has really grown this semester is finding the measurements of a circle. I think this grew because now I know the formulas and what to do. As there are many things I think I have mastered, there are also some that I think I need to improve in. The first skill that I think I need to improve in is a skill that has been introduced to me this semester. It is a simple question Ms. J always asks. WHY? I think that finding the why to every method is hard. I still do not understand how to master it and why it works. I am still very confused and think I need improvement. Overall, this semester has been challenging but fun. I think I have learned a lot.
Source: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMXLYZcuH-7Dygj8kpRKa-Rqb0l4HuIwfDGvL_yVBXYyEC_QhjRg
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! :)