Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Institutionalizing Core Values Is Key to Maximizing Growth



In which of the core values have you shown the most success? Why?

The core value I have portrayed the best this quarter are curious and responsible. I think that I have been very curious in most of my classes. I am always asking questions, and am sometimes scared teachers will get mad. I sometimes find it hard to ask questions, but most of the times I do. I do not like starting something without the sufficient information on it. I also think that sometimes I like making sure I am on the right track, and that the communication between me and my teachers are clear. This helps me improve in my work, so when I ask questions, they give me feedback on how I am doing. The next core value is responsible. I think I am very responsible, and have kept this as one of the core values I always try to maintain. I am always in my seat 2 or 3 minutes before class starts, and I always have all my materials with me. Every class, I always make sure to do any due homework, and work my hardest in class. Overall, these are two of the most successful core values I show.

In which of the core values have you shown the most progress or growth? Why?

I think that the core value that I most improved on was inclusive. This is a core value that I have struggled with. I think that I do include friends, but when it comes to learning, I find it hard to be inclusive with others about my work. I think that now I have improved, which has helped me on my learning. The more thoughts I share with my classmates, the more I learn about others opinion.

Which core value is most challenging for you? Why?

I find Risk Taking hard for me I think it is hard because I never know when I can take a risk. I can sometimes get uncomfortable sharing something, but I am trying. I think that an example of me trying to improve was on my book presentation. I was really nervous at first, but I think I really took a Risk and shared more with the class orally. I think this improved my presentation skills, and am going to try working on that for my other classes.

***********************************************

In which class or academic area have you shown the most success? Why?

I find both math and humanities subjects that I have really shown success on. I think of this because of two reasons: the first are the teachers. I think that my humanities teacher is really good at communicating with me, and she helps me engage into the work. She is always explaining to me what I can improve, not what I failed on. She always answers my questions in a clear way, and since I understand the class, it helps me enjoy the class and not stress too much about it. My math teacher is also somewhat like my humanities teacher. Every time I walk out of his class, I have learned a new thing. For tests, I do not struggle in studying. He teaches us what we have to study, and I find nice to know what to expect. I also like how he has a connection with the students. When he teaches, he makes me feel more comfortable to ask questions and learn more. I do not like it when teachers make a learning environment that is uncommunicative. I find it easier to learn when you are not shy or scared of the teacher. I respect teachers more. The second reason is because these are two subjects that I am interested on. I read a lot, for fun, and that is one of the reasons why I like humanities. I find it nice to let my thoughts on books spread with others. In math, I think that it is nice to leave words and focus on numbers sometimes. Sometimes, logic is nice to hear about, in where there is no need to find out the meaning with “context clues”. I find math a nice subject, in where I can finally just work without worrying if my thoughts are wrong, since there is always a way to check.

In which class or academic area have you shown the most progress or growth? Why? Which class or academic area is the most challenging for you? Why?

I have one subject in where I find both challenging, but where I showed a lot of growth in: Portuguese. In Portuguese, I struggle a lot because it is not my first language. I think that my vocabulary is not amazing, and that maybe I have to work on that. But I think that one of the main issues is the teacher. I think that tis teacher is not well communicated with his students, and that is why I struggle. When I need help, he does not help. When I send emails, he does not answer. I found it really hard to work, but I persevered. I did not like this, so I talked with Mr. Tuttle. After talking to him, I found the teacher improve a loot. He started acting like a real teacher, and he was amazing. I think that is he acts more like this; it will be better for the whole class. For example, after the talk, my grades started improving, and I started understand the concept better. I really liked his change, and I hope he remains as a good teacher.


Inteligencia_negocios.jpg




1 comment:

  1. Laura, I really enjoyed learning about your thoughts from this first quarter in 7th grade! I think you have a clear vision of yourself as a learner and as a leader in your Graded community. I am touched to hear that you enjoy Humanities class. I hope that I can continue to provide for you areas to improve and a comfortable place to learn and express your ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)