This
quarter in humanities, we started studying new root words. But first, what are
root words? This is the definition found on google: The root word is the primary lexical
unit of a word, and of a word family (root is
then called base word), which carries the most significant aspects
of semantic content and cannot be reduced into smaller constituents.
Content words in nearly all languages contain, and may consist
only of root morphemes. What this means is that it that a
root word is a word with no prefix nor suffix.
We
studied roots originated from either greek or latin words, which were two of
the first languages, and where most of our language comes from.
We had 3
root lists, and each time we had one, we were told to make a presentation about
that one root, and each student was assessed one root. After two or three days
of preparing, we shared our presentations with our classmates, having them
write down all of the new roots they learned, and two words that contain the
root word.
These are
my three presentations, from the first one I've ever made to the last and most
current one I've made:
2 Presentation:
3 Presentation:
Improvement
I can see
evidence of growth between my three presentations through these areas: First is
my content. The first presentation is simple and fast, not containing anything
really interesting. There are some really interesting words, but it is just a
quick presentation. The second one and the third one contain simple words and
complex words. The sentences contain better context clues to understand the
words, and the definitions are easier to understand.
Something
else that I saw was the change of program that I used. i think the flow of the
presentation was better when I used maze and prezi. In my opinion, they are way
more interesting, and flow better. It is easier to portray information with
prezi, since you have the option of inserting stickers and adding new
transitions. I loved learning about new ways to present my work.
I think I
improved because of was because of watching other presentations, and that I did
not want my presentations to be repetitive. After my presentations, I would
always look for another program to make my presentation, to have a nicer and
fresher start. I also think that looking
at what others presented gave me an idea of what I should add on to my next
presentation.
One of my
peer’s presentations, Nadya, inspired me in this way: I saw how nice her prezi
went, so I decided to take in her way. Also, I loved how her explanations were
nice and short, but really explained the word. I think that most of the time,
the roots that I mostly remembered most about where the ones she
presented. I am more impressed with this
work as opposed to the other one because she made in nice and short, but
explanatory. I did not like the presentations in where the explanations were
way too complex.
I got
“stuck” working on finding words with the root because I was looking for
interesting words, words that no one knows. I think that it was crucial to find
complicated words, because if not, we would not be learning much. I think
another big part of the presentations was learning new word. I was able to get
“unstuck” first finding the word, and the searching up the definition. I also
found a website in were it was filled with words containing my root. When I
finally found words that I did not know, I wrote them down and used them. (This
happened on the third presentation)
One core
value I portrayed in the first presentation was perseverance because the root I
had chosen was hard (magn), I could not find much information on words. I kept
looking and looking, but most of the words did not fit in with the meaning of
the root. I spend a whole night looking for words, and it was worth it, because
at the end my presentation consisted really nice words!
One core
value I struggled to portray in the second presentation was curiosity, because
I was not interested in the root I had chosen, neither the presentation. I did
not like the root (tele), which made it hard for me to be curios about finding
out more information on the root.
Preparation
The
presentations did take some work, but at the end, I really thing that they
helped a lot. By making my own presentation, I learned so much about my own
root, and after presenting so many times, I already new most of the words by
memory. I also think that watching others presentations was good, expect that
some presentations where not interesting, or did not teach me the correct idea.
I think that studying on my own helped more.
I am a
visual learner, and that is why I made cards to study. I need to see the roots
and then say it in my mind, to remember. That is why I think that in class, the
method that really helped me was the dictionary. I really enjoyed it, and at
the same time remember most of the images. However, I would still say that
flash cards worked best for me.
An online
version of flashcards is Quizlet. I really enjoy quiz let, since it is so easy
to work! If I had the time to make a set and work on it, I would have done it.
But maybe I would still prefer flashcards, since I learn by writing things
down. Overall, I loved studying with flashcards. I think it is the best way for
me to learn.
The day
before the tests, I tried getting some sleep, and study a lot the day before.
This worked for the first two assessments, but the last one, I do not know if I
did good or bad on. I had very little time to study the day before (45 min)
because it is the end of the quarter, and I was stuffed with so many things I
needed to do. I went to bed pretty late, and slept for about 6-7 hours. That is
why I think that if for any reason my grade drops in the last assessment, it
would be because I am stressing out on too many classes and assignments due all
on the same day.
Laura, I think it is powerful that you have decided to reflect upon all 3 of your presentations, instead of just 2. It allows you, and your reader, to analyze your growth across time. As in other posts, you have selected a specific peer to give props to, which is always kind and impactful! You could hyperlink to Nadya's work so that your reader can see why she inspired you to improve. Finally, I am happy to hear what kind of learner you are. This will allow me to make sure to incorporate visual learning into new content and review to make sure I am helping you be the best student you can be.
ReplyDelete