Description: In my slide, I chose to repeat "The Power of D->E->V->E->L->O->P->M->E->N->T" over and over as my background. I used the arrows in the word to demonstrate growth and improvement. There are three funnels, each a different color, which I made it look as different societies. There is code (to symbolize technology) going into the funnel, or the societies, and each society interprets it in a different way. The first society (purple) uses it for army based technologies. The second (yellow), uses it to improve agriculture. The third (red) works more on transportation. I wanted this whole image to represent one of the questions: "Why do new technologies produce different outcomes in different societies?". It shows three different societies, with three different outcomes. This slide also includes some of the next question: "How can technology change the development of a society?". The image clearly demonstrates that each society will be getting stronger in the one section they have gotten. For example, the purple society will now not be afraid to send out army troops, since they have a strong army. This can and will change the way they develop.
In this quarter, our Humanities unit was “The Power of Development”. We looked deeper into how societies can develop with new technologies to endure longer, as well as how can a character develop through a story. After learning about a few societies that developed and came up with new technologies, we were told to pick our own technology, and write a research paper on it. After learning specifically about one topic, as well as knowledge from other peers, our task turned into writing a Graphic Novel. This was a completely new experience to me, one that enjoyed very much. A very lucky opportunity was that a famous Graphic Novelist, Matthew Holm (Author of Babymouse), came in person to talk to us about how he writes/draws, and the history of them. I learned so much!
To start of, why is development important? In my thoughts, we need development. What is an undeveloped country? A country in where people struggle. Development is made from growth, and improvement. It is crucial for a healthy society. For example, imagine a clock is broken, and you are not able to tell the time. If you leave it broken, you will have some incapabilities, as well as loss. However, if you think it through, and fix the clock, you have opened boundaries. Your knowledge about the clock, as well as the clock itself, have both developed. That is the power of development. It is strong enough to build a society, as well as enabling living things to a greater mindset.
"Why do new technologies produce different outcomes in different societies?" In my opinion, it always depends on the way the society applies the technology, and the beliefs of the society. For example, in some societies, it is rude to have your phone with you around, or it is not applicable to the society, since people already communicate with each other in different ways. Another example, would be the compass. It was first found in China, in the early 930's, however, was only officially used in Europe, in 1200. This shows us that even so the Chinese society found this out, Europe applied this technology in another way. They tried a more advanced way, which led them to higher results, making it better for the society, for it developed more, as well as made life easier for the sailors, and has helped us until now. I can also apply something about my peers research paper: the automatic doors. It was applied in the U.S. earlier, which led to a more vibrant society, with all its benefits. In TCI, we learned about how core subjects surged, in ancient Greece. What was applied in ancient Greece is now what we base our technologies on. It impacted our society in a different way.
The Graphic Novel and Research Paper were both prolonged, but amazing experiences, even so being completely different. We first started with the Research Paper, which was a pretty difficult and long task. We start of with having to find background knowledge, using encyclopedias. Then, we found actual sources, taking notes of the important information we found. The last step was to write the research paper, the hardest task. I think that one of my strongest points in this assignment was my Introduction, Thesis, and Conclusion, as well as my cause effect. I think that somewhere that I need improvement is in my citations, and the format (MLA). It was new to me, so I think I did good, but not the bet. The one core value that helped me overcome the difficulty in this was my curiosity. I think this because the fact that I asked questions helped me know more about how to format it. The Graphic Novel went differently. I think that we just jumped right into it, after writing the plot summary. Something that I did well was plotting the story. I found this very smooth and easy. One challenge I had was using the program. It was very confusing, and hard to work with (Pixton). However, because of my perseverance, I did not give up on it, and am now grateful. I think I came out with an amazing story. Effort leads to good results!Visual SLide:
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! :)