Monday, September 30, 2013

1:1 Toolkit SLC - Laura de Beer - 6th Grade - Technology Counts!


This is a tutorial I created in 1:1 Toolkit class. Toolkit class is where we learn about technology. We studied tutorials. A tutorial is a video explaining how to do something. It could be anything. S I will explain you how many steps you will have to go through! Here is what I did. First, with the class, we did a survey explaining what we use with technology. When we had a good idea of what we were going to learn, we started to look at different aspects of creating a tutorial. The first aspect that we looked at was the explanation. To learn that we need to detail our tutorial with every single step, we had to draw anything we want. However, after we had to write some instructions of how to draw that and give it to someone else to draw. Then we noticed how everything needs to be so detailed. After reflecting on all of this, we started looking at other peoples tutorials and evaluating them. Then we talked about how our voice needs to be clear and how the images can’t be blurry. That is what we called a good tutorial. That was when we were ready to start our tutorials. But first we needed to find out what our tutorial was going to be about. To find out what to do, we made a survey with many aspects in technology, asking people if they know how to use them. The ones were a lot of people had doubt about were the ones that we decided to make a tutorial about. I choose google maps. My mistake:I needed to choose one aspect in google maps. .So the first thing we started with was our steps. We had to make them detailed but not as detailed as the script and the story board. The storyboard was optional. We could choose if we wanted a background image to work with. However, the script was the most important thing. We had to write everything that we were going to say. It obviously had to be detailed. The next thing we had to do was choose what our tutorial was made out of. It was either  screenshots or screencast. Once we had a big idea of what we were going to do, we started record or filming. So first we filmed and made our tutorial with no help. We were left alone. Then, we shared it with others. After others saw it, they commented on it. I had to work on my length and music.Since we had at least one aspect to correct, we had to make another tutorial based on what we saw with others and on what others commented on. I had to fix my music and how long my video was. So I decided to start from scratch. I decided to change from screencast to screenshots and audio. I found a really cool app and started all over again, focusing on one aspect of google maps. Statelite mode. My video got shorter, however better. That was our last draft. The final draft. The one we had to be proud of. So that’s what I did!
I think that the core values I demonstrated were Reflective, Innovative, Communicator, and Risk Taker. I think that I was reflective because the whole project was about looking over your work. I had to reflect on the comments people wrote for me and reflect on which were true. I think that I was innovative, because when my tutorial did not go write, I came up with other creative ways of making it. I had to be innovative to find out what to say and what to show. I think that I was a Communicator because I had to communicate with others and show them how to use something. I had to communicate and show them. Finally, I think that I was a Risk Taker because it was a risk to share my tutorial with everyone. I had the courage to make something to share with everyone.
    In my tutorial there were some positive and negatives. However, there were ways to fix the negatives. Take a look: For me, what worked was the following: My voice was enthusiastic, my instructions were clear, and my content was good. What I needed to improve was: My music, the length of the video, My images were blurry. Here is what I did to make it better: I first sat down and read over everything that people wrote. I found three main topics that I was going to improve and I got to work. So the first thing was my music. I looked for music that won’t distract the audience. Something soothing. Then I looked at the length. I decided to work on one aspect of google maps: satellite mode. So I made a new script and set of with that. Since my images were blurry, I decided to start from scratch with a new app. Something that could capture good images. When I found the app I set off to work on my new tutorial!
    If I were to re-do this project, I would have chosen a different topic. I say this because I think that Google Maps was too big and it was hard to explain. It was very simple what to do so it was hard to detail it. There were so many useless buttons and so many weird stuff. Also, when I was working on it, google maps restarted and it became new. So that meant I had to start all over again.
Some skills I developed were that I had to detail everything that I am going to explain. I need to detail my work. Something else I learned was how to reflect on something. I think that this will be important because maybe I am doing something wrong and instead of getting mad, I reflect and try again. I also learned to never give up. This is very valuable. During the project, it was so hard to get everything to combine, however I did it.

4 comments:

  1. I like the way you circled the sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you made you video shorter and more specific

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you made the video easier to understand

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you made it good to understand because we can see better when you circle it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)