Sunday, December 29, 2013

What do Fish Have to do With Anything? And Other Stories - Post #3 - Talk to Me

13) If you could change something about the book what would it be and why?

            The story Talk to Me is about a young girl, Maria, who losses her brother at a young age because of his behavior.  His parents did not like him because he stole things, and drank, and got into many fights with them and suddenly one day, he just disappeared, with no warning. A couple years later, Maria starts receiving a phone call every Tuesday, exactly at four o’ clock. At first, she reacts by saying hello and hanging up or not even answering, but all of that changes when one day she actually decided to talk, thinking it was her brother on the phone. She asked to meet up and told the caller all of her secrets and information, and she actually had someone to talk to and who could listen to her.  She was so sure that it was her brother until one day she received a letter from a phone company saying that it was all a mistake and that the caller was a fake number.
            I think that if I could change something in this story, it would be the fact that it actually was her brother on the phone talking to her.  I know the fact that there was no one on the other end shows us that she needed someone to talk to, but if it was her brother, the story could have been more suspenseful. In this story, one of the big themes is her brother, and its weird that he never shows up. Maybe if it was her brother on the phone, if one day they decide to leave, Maria might have told the secret caller, her brother Brian, that they were moving, making it easier for him to find them. Also, since Maria really liked her brother, she could have been walking on her way to meet the caller one day and see him stealing something and cursing, therefore making her change her mind about him and give up.
            Overall, this story was very interesting and deep, and I really learned a lot. Just like the two before this story, all of them have a very important lesson to them, and all of them are very interesting. I really look forward to reading another one of Avi’s books!

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the post, I really liked it. I thought the same exact thing as you when I was writing my post, too! I also think that it kind of killed the suspense and the thrill because it was only a mistake with the phone company. She talked so much about Brian, but he never showed up. I think that she should have at least found Brian or seen him. I also look forward to reading more books from Avi!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)